MATURE: the Lifestyle of the Mature in Christ
July 7, 2008
Yet among the mature we do impart wisdom, although it is not a wisdom of this age or of the rulers of this age, who are doomed to pass away. But we impart a secret and hidden wisdom of God, which God decreed before the ages for our glory. None of the rulers of this age understood this, for if they had, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory. But, as it is written, “What no eye has seen, nor ear heard, nor the heart of man imagined, what God has prepared for those who love him”–these things God has revealed to us through the Spirit. For the Spirit searches everything, even the depths of God.
- 1 Corinthians 2:6-10
Wisdom is knowledge lived out. The last quality of the mature Christian is this: they walk out the fruit of the Spirit – they put into practice the words of Christ – they practice what Jesus preached. When we know God intimately, meeting Him “in the secret place” – when we have that depth of relationship, the natural outworking of that is wisdom: living the life of Christ in a broken world. The mature Christian looks ever more like Christ – his life is conspicuously like Jesus, who was the Word made flesh – wisdom embodied, and lived.
So, what is the vision – what is the goal? The 10 Qualities of the Mature Summarized
As Christians we need to understand the goal we’re working towards – maturity in Christ. Though there will be much cross-over, and there are many ways or arranging these traits, this is essentially the goal of the church.
The Mature in Christ…
1. …trains others to become more like Jesus.
2. …is skilled in understanding the Word and able to “feed” himself.
3. …is discerning.
4. …recognizes that he can do nothing to earn God’s favor and does not try to earn his salvation.
5. …has been baptized and understands the nature of baptism.
6. …understands and respects the transference of gifts and authority within the church.
7. …believes in the bodily resurrection of Jesus and our future resurrection
8. …is secure in his hope in eternal life with Christ.
9. …lives a life pleasing to God in response to his security in Christ.
10. …lives a life of wisdom and intimacy with God, in response to his security in Christ.
Do you lack these traits? What is hindering you, and your growth? What can you do to work towards maturity?